Thursday, August 25, 2011

Possible pre-eclampsia

The past 24 hours has been a roller coaster of emotions. I woke up early, which is normal for me these days. Cubbie and I split a PBJ and then I did some things around the house. I headed downtown for my OB appointment at 10:00. I saw Dr. Foutz. She is the youngest doctor in the group. She is extremely nice, but I now understand does not have the experience to be confident in her decisions as they changed several times throughout the evening. Upon arrival, my blood pressure was 150/90. They waited 30 minutes and took it again: 138/84. Better, but still up. So she decided to induce me for presumed pre-eclampsia. I went home, got my bags, and headed back to the hospital with Matt. At 7pm, they started the induction by inserting Cervadil to soften the cervix because I was not dilated at all. 2 out of the 4 labs were positive for pre-eclampsia and 1 was borderline. Then the doctor realized there had been a discrepancy with my due date: Sept 5 vs Sept 12. Since the diagnosis for pre-eclapmsia was borderline, and my pressures looked better on bed rest for 3 hours, she decided to stop the induction. She was not comfortable with the thought of inducing a possible 37 week baby. She said she would have been more comfortable had my due date been solidified and I was definitely 38 weeks. All along I have asked for them to make a final decision about my due date and stick to it. I was told the difference of a week wouldn't matter so not to worry about it. Well here we are and the difference of a week DOES matter.

So at this point, I am on bed rest. They are collecting my urine for 24 hours. The collection will be done at 6:15pm. It will take about an hour to get the results back. The doctor will then decide to proceed with the induction or possibly send me home on bed rest for 1 week or so. Dr. Barnes is on call tonight. I have total faith in whatever he decides will be best for the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment