Thursday, September 8, 2011

Induction Day!

So for my 39 week check up, I saw Dr. Boyd. I was at 2cm and about 75% effaced. He said I could go another 2 weeks before progressing into labor on my own. I must have given him an absolutely pathetic look, because he then decided to induce me. He was scheduled to be on-call Thursday Sept 8, so he said he would have his scheduler book me a room and get things started. It was a roller coaster of emotions knowing that in 48 hours the process would start. I called the hospital at 5:45am as instructed on the morning of the 8th to ensure there were still enough beds. They assured me I had a room and Matt and I left for the hospital. We got all checked into room 7 and Dr. Boyd stopped by to say hello and get things going. The Pitocin started around 8am to start labor. Things were very busy in Labor and Delivery and they kind of forgot about me for a while! Around noon, another physician stopped in to check me and break my water. I was only 3cm dilated and devastated I wasn't farther along.

Our families started to arrive and our room was a mini-party! Early afternoon I got my epidural, but still was not progressing very quickly. There were a lot of phone calls, texts, and facebooking!! No one could believe I was on facebook, but once the epidural was in, I felt great and needed something to pass the time. Actually the epidural only took on the right side, but if I laid on my left side for 20 minutes, the left side would numb up enough to keep me comfortable. So, every hour or so, I would lay on my left side to "re-numb" it!! The right leg was soooo numb, that it fell out of bed and I didn't even realize it was hanging on the floor!

Time was ticking by and still no progress. Our families left the room for a while so I could rest. With the room quiet, Matt began noticing a dripping noise. We called in the nurse...and there it was...a big puddle on the floor! There was a hole in the IV tubing and my Pitocin had been infusing on the floor! We don't know how long this had been going on. Once they fixed the line and restarted my Pitocin, I progressed quickly...I went from 4cm to 10cm in under 2 hours. We were ready to have a baby! Unfortunately...the staff wasn't ready. It was change of shift and, although I was 10cm at 6pm, I had to wait until 7:30 to start pushing. That was the longest wait. Matt and I both got nervous, I began with nausea and shaking, and our families were anxiously waiting in the waiting room. Finally my new nurse, Mindy, came in and we got things started. She was a fantastic delivery nurse and things went smoothly. After 7 intense pushes, we had a healthy baby girl!! Amelia Mae Everett entered this world on September 8th, 2011 at 8:23pm! Matt and Mindy were awesome coaches. Matt said he is sending Dr. Boyd a bill because he did more work than he intended!

Birthing room 7

Mommy and Daddy excited to meet our baby girl!

Gigi and Papa are excited to meet their first grandchild!

We got bored...and silly!

Papa, Mimi, and Aunt Laurel came down from Georgia!

Mimi is excited to meet Baby E...and find out the name!

No comments:

Post a Comment